Thursday, May 1, 2008

The Diary of Vera Claythorne

I just arrived at Indian Island. I followed Mrs. Rogers, the maid, upstairs to my room. It was beautiful. There was a big window that opened to the sea and another looking east. My luggage was brought up and had been unpacked. Mrs. Rogers asked if I had everything I needed. I said yes. I realized how strange Mrs. Rogers looked now that I actually saw her. She looked frightened, but of what? A shiver came down my back. It was like seeing a ghost. I told Mrs. Rogers that I was Mrs. Owens new secretary, and asked if she mentioned anything about me. She said that Mrs. Owen didn't mention anything. They only came two days ago, and hadn't seen her yet. I was shocked. I asked about the staff they had at Indian Island. She said there was only herself and Mr. Rogers. I frowned. I thought, there were ten people in the house, and only two people to serve them. I asked, in pity for her, if they could manage all the work. Mrs. Rogers said yes. She mentioned that she was a good cook, and Mr. Rogers was handy around the house. Mrs. Rogers left the room. She moved noiselessly across the hall. Since my arrival at Indian Island, everything was weird. The Owens were nowhere to be found, Mrs. Rogers ghostly face, and the guests.The guests were very odd. I thought about where the Owens might be. I paced around the room trying to think of an answer. I couldn't find one.

- Vera Claythorne

No comments: